Tuesday, August 2, 2011

Ariel Swim Robe

So this weekend I had a super creative spurt of energy and decided to tackle a project that has been on my Pinterest "to-do" list for a while now. I saw a pattern listed for sale at one of my favorite craft bloggers site. I was very interested in making it with my brand new sewing machine, only problem is I don't really know how to sew....

But, I got the Pattern ($8) and it was a 29 page PDF with 17 pages of colorful instructions that made it very easy to follow along. The remaining 12 pages are the pattern which you can print on 8.5" x 11" paper on your home computer.

Here's how it turned out:



To make the Swim Robe I purchased the following supplies:

1 Pattern - $8.00 / 8 Robes to be made = $1.00
1 Beach Towel @ Walmart = $5.77
3 Packages of double wide binding @ Walmart (3yd ea) = $4.50
1/2 Yard Ariel Fabric @ Walmart = $2.25
(I already had white thread - so technically no cost)
---------------------------------
Total Cost : $13.52
One towel was enough to make the largest size pattern (3T-4T) but I had to be VERY careful to lay all the pieces out just right. This robe was intended for my niece who turns 5 today! I made the largest size and tried it on a neighbor girl who is also 5 and it was very roomy - thank goodness!



Here is a close up of the hood - before I was 100% finished.... I went back and cleaned up the seam where the hood is attached. I also re-worked the trim - you can see I missed a spot if you look closely


Here is a closer look at the ties - I also lined them with the Ariel fabric... I think that 1/4 or 1/3 of a yard of trim fabric probably would have been adequate, but at least I had more options to maximize the number of Ariels that you can see... I love how the pink in the towel co-ordinates with the pink in the coral... too cute if I do say so myself! Oh, and doing the binding around the curve parts is clearly NOT my strong part... Seriously that binding was tough!


And here is one last look at the back side of the robe - I did the wrap all the way across the back, but I could have sewn in two straps at the seams where the back panel and the front panels come together... but I opted for the continuous look because I had enough towel to make it work.... Plus, you can't tell that the Ariel fabric is not continuous along the back, which is why I think you could get away with less trim fabric.

Not bad for my first ever sewing project!

No comments:

Post a Comment